Sunday, September 4, 2011

Karma Collective 5

Who knows where certain elements that suddenly crop up in a book or working manuscript come from? Blind inspiration? Collective memory? The subconscious? I often wonder. Paul Burman touches on this often curious part of the creative process in The Green Man a.k.a. Leafy George. As a pagan, I remember being fascinated by Leafy George in Paul's excellent novel The Snowing and Greening of Thomas Passmore. In this intriguing piece Paul conflates his creation with E M Forster's Howards End.


I will be perfectly frank: I've never really understood the fantasy genre. All those hairy people waving swords and riding scaly reptiles; magicians casting hockey spells. I just don't get it. So I guess I'm talking about quest fantasy novels. They just don't appeal to my sensibility. I love reading a strong horror and supernatural novel. But high fantasy... I just can't bring myself to be too interested. Having said that I do love reading fantasy stories that maintain one foot on a recognisable world and use that as a leaping off point. Stories like Alan Garner's The Weirdstone of Brisingamen, Elidor, The Owl Service, Red Shift and so on.

So I was immediately interested when I stumbled across this short piece by fantasist Michael Pryor. It's called Why I Write Fantasy. Take it away, Michael. Enlighten me...


No comments:

Post a Comment